1. Metal Maidens has been around since 1995 and has established itself as one of the leading magazines about women in the (Heavy)Metal and (Hard)Rock, the most important ladies in the punk rock music and Riot Grrrls bands. Tell us what inspired you to begin this magazine?
**Actually, the reason why I started Metal Maidens in the first place was because I thought female musicans didn't get enough coverage in the magazines and esp. in Europe they were totally ignored or people were making "fun" of them and saying they couldn't play or whatever.... I was sick and tired of hearing that all the time, so I reckoned I could prove them WRONG!!!! When I started MM, I didn't think there were sooo many female rockers and metal ladies in the scene and I was surprised how many I missed myself. Now in the 21st century, there are even more female musicians around (who come and go, unfortunately), but I'm glad people like Doro, Girlschool, Sabina Classen (Holy Moses) haven't kicked the bucket and are still around!!!!!! Keep the flame burning, ladies!!!!!
2. Did you ever think your zine would be so well-known? How do you feel about the response people give you to your zine? Do you ever get any negative
**To be honnest, I never thought I would get this far. I'm really proud and honoured that everybody is so positive about what I'm doing. It's all for the love of music and to support female musicians!!! I've never had any negative reactions so far, but I think I would just laugh about it!!! Grow up!!
3. What are you favorite bands (male and female)?
**Oh my God, I have so many fave bands!!!! First of all, I love THE RUNAWAYS to death!!! They were the pioneers and very first all-female hardrock band on earth. I was so sad, when they broke up, but I follow the solo careers of JOAN JETT and LITA FORD ever since. Furthermore, I'm into GIRLSCHOOL, ROCK GODDESS, ICE AGE, SHOW-YA (Jap. all-female band), OZZY OSBOURNE, DIO, WHITESNAKE, MANOWAR, JUDAS PRIEST (esp. HALFORD days), ALICE COOPER, DORO, TWISTED SISTER, THIN LIZZY, L7, THE LUNACHICKS, NASHVILLE PUSSY, BETTY BLOWTORCH (R.I.P. Bianca!), and many many others.........
4. Who does the covers for your magazine?
**Basically, I pick out the covers myself. I take pictures from old album sleeves and transform them into the "Metal Maidens" concept. I'm very much into the artwork by Boris Valejo, Luis Royo and Dorian Cleavenger.
5. How many issues have you done so far and how far do you wish to take the
**We are working on our 30th issue (December 2002) right now. How far I wish to take it? Well, as far as I can possibly get, I guess. I mean, as long as I enjoy doing this 'zine and people have fun reading it, I will continue publishing it. I hope this will be for a very long time to come........
6. Have there been any female bands that you didn't enjoy?
**That's a tough question. I hate bands, who have this 'rock star' attitude. I could give you some examples here, but I don't like to wash one's dirty linen in public. Let's say I have come across a few bands/people, that I was a bit disappointed by......
7. What does Rita Van Poorten do for fun when she's not working on the zine?
What other interests do you have?
**Well, I have another passion and that's photography!!! Besides, the usual band photos (concert pix), I like to take pix of people and animals. Also, I am a huge film fanatic (esp. horror and fiction movies) and I like to read a good book!!!
8. What were your favorite bands to interview and why?
**I very much enjoyed to interview Kimberly Goss of SINERGY (she's a TRUE metal lady and knows what she's talkin' about) and I liked to chat to (interview) Sabina Classen (HOLY MOSES) and Jutta Weinhold (formerly ZED YAGO/VELVET VIPER). They've been around this scene for as long as I can remember and are still the same friendly 'down-to-earth' persons as always!
9. Are you a musician as well? Did you ever have any wish to be a musician?
** I used to play guitar (and sing) in a band, when I was 17 years old. We played old rock tunes from The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath and stuff like that. It was just for fun and I wasn't really that good though.... Not good enough to become a professional musican anyway.
10. Compared to when you started Metal Maidens, do you see a difference in the amount of women in the metal scene? Do you see any different treatment?
** Yes, I have noticed that there is much more acceptance in the scene these days, then there was in the early 80's, but still I would like to see more women picking up an instrument, instead of just singing (or playing keyboards).
11. How do you feel about guys that say or used to say that women couldn't
play instruments or that they couldn't rock?
**Stupid imbeciles!!! Wake up or are you afraid that women are better players and you lose your dignity?!? There's enough space for either female or male musicians on this f*cking planet!!!!
12. Finally, tell us why you LOVE Metal Maidens:) And any last words.
** I can releate to them!!!! Keep the METAL fire burning and go for it, ladies!!!!!!!!
Please come and visit our website at:
Also, don't forget to sign our guestbook!! Love to hear from ya!!!!!